Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Inaugural Post:
What to do with these candidates?

Discussions about leaders often, eventually and without intent, whittle down to a debate over personality. For example, I debate the merits and failing of No Child Left Behind on a weekly basis, and always manage to end up agreeing with my opponent on one point: yes, I say, George W. Bush does seem like a nice man. He reminds me of my grandpa. Which doesn't in any way imply that I'd like my grandpa, who once mistook the flu for being open and almost asphyxiated my entire family, to be in the most powerful position in the world. I mean that George seems funny, unassuming, genial...well, to sum it up, I think he'd be fun at a barbeque. He definitely looks like a man who has grilled ribs in his day down on the ranch. While our little party of guests digs into the Texan cuisine, I can imagine him regaling us with an oral history of his life, amusing anecdotes about the Skull and Bones society no doubt, when Laura helped him sober up (a heart-warmer), and tales of the girls before they were sneaking into subterfuge. It would be enjoyable, and I wouldn't fear, in that moment, that people were being killed by soldiers in the name of my country or that my civil liberties were being stripped away, lending all the more sweetness to the event.

After watching the Democratic nominee debates yesterday, I began to think about my initial impressions of these 9 people, and what they would be like, or what political persona they would assume, once in office. Here, then, is a list of what I would want to do with each Democratic party candidate:
1. Senator Mike Gravel- (aka "very old man" until I looked up his name)- I would like to play bingo with him.

2. Chris Dodd (aka "old man" until I finally remembered his name)- I would like to...well, no, I don't know about him, since I can't remember what he said or what he looks like. That bodes very well for his campaign.

3. John Edwards- I would bake him a pie while he talks. About anything. Then I would scoop some ice cream on it and watch him eat. I feel like he's the most presidential in manner and appearance, which inspires revolution-like prurience and subservient behavior in me. Well, perhaps not too prurient...he doesn't look a day over 35.

4. Hilary Clinton- I would like to have a career counseling session with her: my job's not satisfying, but she obviously knows how to parlay ambition into success.

5. Barack Obama- I would play basketball with him. Granted, I have no proficiency at any sport that requires hand-eye coordination, but I have a feeling he would be supportive, providing guidance throughout. Plus, he's an amazing pick-up player, according to the New York Times. **The NYT article was a very long and elaborate look at his basketball skills. My first idea was to play chess with him, but it maybe he would be offended, since "everyone" knows he's a talented pick-up player.

6. Bill Richardson- Whenever I see him, I want to pass an evening of s'mores-making with him! For my brother, he inspires visions of "tanning leather."

7. Dennis Kucinich- I want him to have a sense of humor about something. Plus, he's the right height. Together, we could paint our faces purple, put on overalls, and sing the oompa loopa song. I'm afraid, though, that he wouldn't be able to take a joke.

I'm going to miss the debate tonight...my first writing course at the loft begins at 6pm. Please comment: What would you do with the Republican candidates? (Nothing dirty, please).

1 comment:

chris said...

playing basketball with the black guy, huh?

i'm just joshing! i enjoy your new format! someone's getting blog buddy of the week...